When you have a water well on your property, there are a number of things you can do to protect it against harmful pollutants. Once groundwater in a well is contaminated, it can be extremely difficult and expensive to get it cleaned and made suitable for use again. There is nothing like protecting your water well from becoming contaminated by harmful pollutants in the first place. Once you are sure that your water well is pollutant-free, you can seek the help of a well-known and reliable well pump installation company in Napa County to give you a good supply of groundwater to meet your requirements.
Ways to Protect Your Water Well
Here are a few ways to save your water well from harmful pollutants.
1. Manage Waste Properly: One of the most important things you can do to protect the water from your well from harmful pollutants is to make sure that you properly dispose of potentially toxic substances such as paint, motor oil, pharmaceuticals, unused chemicals and other substances. There are collections or sites for household hazardous waste in many communities. You can contact your local health department to find one in your area.
2. Reduce Use of Chemicals: The fewer chemicals you use around your yard and home, the better it is for your water well. When you do use them, you should, needless to say, make sure that you dispose of them properly. Remember never to simply dump them on the ground – this is how they can seep into your water well and contaminate it with harmful pollutants.
3. Use Less Polluting Household Products: Nowadays, many manufacturers of household products are using fewer raw toxic ingredients in their products. Find out more about such companies andopt to use their products. Switch to phosphate-free detergents and other household products that cause less pollution. You will also find all-natural household cleaners that are non-toxic. You can also use materials like vinegar, baking soda, and lemon juice for cleaning various parts of your house. They are not only inexpensive, but eco-friendly as well, so you do not need to worry about them polluting your water well.
4. Ensure that the Well Casing extends at least 18” above grade and is not in a flood zone. This will reduce the possibility of water entering the well during the wet season or if flooding occurs.
5. Ensure that your well has a proper well seal that ensures that contaminates can inadvertently get into the well and that lizards or small rodents cannot fall into the well.
Needless to say, you should hire a professional technician or well maintenance company to test your water and perform repairs that will make your water well less vulnerable to harmful pollutants. When it comes to your well, there is one well pump installation company in Napa County you can always trust for top-notch services – Oakville Pump Service. To find out more, call us today at (707) 944-2471.