When it comes to your drinking water, quality matters and the water purifier you choose will make a huge difference. However, with so many on the market, finding the right system for your home can be a challenge. While many water purification companies in Calistoga, such as Oakville Pump Service, can help you find the right one, it is always best to understand your options beforehand.
Determine Current Water Quality
Before you begin looking into your options, you need to know what type of contaminants you want to remove. Each type of purification system removes different types of contaminants, so it's important to know which ones are in your water. You can find this information by requesting the water quality report from your local water utility or sending a sample to an independent testing facility.
The Five Types of Water Purification Systems
Once you know what types of contaminants you need to remove from your water, then you can decide which option is best for you.
- Portable Options - These are your personal water bottles and water pitchers with built-in filters that allow you to purify a smaller amount each time. They work best for minimal contaminants, such as the chemicals used by water treatment facilities.
- Faucet Filters - These offer the same filtration as portable options, but fit over the faucet instead. Check each filter to ensure they are NSF-certified to remove your particular contaminants.
- Reverse Osmosis Systems - These are the only purification systems that are certified by NSF to remove fluoride, nitrate, lead, and copper.
- UV Microbiological Systems - These are the only ones that kill harmful bacteria that can live in drinking water. However, they do not remove other types of contamination, so you may have to use a second system for the best results.
- Water Softeners - These remove minerals and heavy metals, such as calcium and iron, however, they do not remove chemicals and may introduce additional sodium depending on the type of softener you use.
Once you have a good idea of what type of system your home needs, water purification companies in Calistoga can professionally install the new system and ensure it is working correctly.
For more information, or to request a quote for installing a new filtration system for your home in the Calistoga and surrounding areas, please contact the experts at Oakville Pump Service today.